What are the conditions to apply for PTPTN education financing?
Students are eligible to apply for education loans if they meet the following requirements:
- Citizens of Malaysia.
- Not more than 45 years on the date of application.
- Passed SPM with at least three credits in any subjects; or
- Passed SPM with CGPA of 3.0 and above for students with Community College Certificate who are offered a place to study for a diploma in a polytechnic only or recipient of a polytechnic diploma who received an offer to do a first degree in a public or private institution.
- Students of public/private higher education institutes / polytechnics must take courses with registration approval from the Higher Education Institute Management Department (Public/Private Higher Education Institute) / Management Department of Polytechnics and Community Colleges of the Ministry of Higher Education.
- Students of private higher education institutues must take courses with a Certificate of Accreditation from the MQA and its validity must not have expired when the application is submitted.
- Students with qualifications other than those required in paragraphs (v) and (vi) must obtain confirmation from the department or agency as specified that the qualifications are equivalent to the prescribed qualifications.
- The remaining period of study at the time of application shall not be less than 1 year.
- Students shall have no other sponsor.
- Students must have an SSPN savings account before making an application.
How do I apply for PTPTN education financing online?
- Application for education loans is as follows: The applicant must apply for education financing online through the Online Loan Application website at (http://www.ptptn.gov.my).
- The applicant is allowed to apply based only on the date set by the higher education institute. The guideline for the date for application in accordance with the relevant institutions can be found at the PTPTN website.
- Applicants need to buy a PIN worth RM5 at the Bank Simpanan Nasional or its branches through three channels below before making the initial registration for education financing application. They are:
2. Automated teller machine(ATM)
3. Cash depositmachine(CDM).
The PIN is valid for only 6 months after the date of the application registration (initial registration).
- The applicant must have received an offer of admission to a higher education institute before applying for education financing.
- The applicant should have an individual account number in the bank specified by the higher education institute, unless the applicant is studying in an institution that provides bank account pre-opening facility for its students.
- An applicant pursuing master / PhD (full time) under the financing of the Second Economic Stimulus Package (mini budget) from the Ministry of Higher Education must choose a course that begins with the words "Mini Budget" in the name of the programme / course.
- Applicants can check their results for PTPTN education financing in the Online Loan Application website starting from the 6th day (working day) after the closing date of online application set by PTPTN.
- Successful applicants who are offered PTPTN education financing must log on to the Online Financing Application website to print the documents listed.
- Please ensure your computer has Adobe Acrobat Reader for the purpose of printing the document. The programme can be downloaded from the website (http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/). Please click on the icon 'Get ADOBE READER' and 'Install' it on your computer.
- The documents listed below must be printed on white A4 paper (80 gsm). Printing is allowed only on one side of each sheet (for each page). The ink must be black.
1. Prepare 2 sets (1 set of computer printout and a photocopied set are allowed) of the education financing offer letter (together with Acknowledgement of Receipt, Authorisation Letter 1, 2, 3 and 4). Please complete and sign both sets of documents **.
2. Prepare 2 sets (1 set of computer printout and a photocopied set are allowed) of the Education Financing Agreement. Please complete and sign both sets of documents **.
3. Prepare 2 sets (1 set of computer printout and a photocopied set are allowed) of the Education Financing Agreement Appendix. Students are required to initial on each page in the space provided at the bottom of the document **.
4. Prepare 2 revenue stamps worth RM10 each. Each completed financing agreement must be affixed with a revenue stamp worth RM10 at the top right corner of the front page. (PLEASE REFER TO APPENDIX A OF THE AGREEMENT DOCUMENT.)
Note: ** The sets of completed documents are for the purpose of filing and reference for the recipient and PTPTN.
- Recipients are also required to submit ONE (1) COPY of supporting document which has been CERTIFIED / SIGNED as follows:
- Loan application information can be printed by clicking the PRINT INFORMATION button in the Online Application website that has been registered previously (this document does not need to be certified).
- Copy of the recipient's identity card. Photocopies of the front and back of the identity card must appear on the same page
- .Copy of Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia (SPM / SPMV). The SPM / SPMV examination transcript is valid for use only if it does not exceed a period of 2 years from the year the examination was taken.
- Copy of letter of admission offer to a higher education institute. The offer letter printed from the internet / higher education institute website must be certified by a management and professional officer of the institute concerned only.
- Copy of account passbook (the page which states the account number) / bank deposit slip / personal account number confirmation according to the banks specified by the higher education institute. This document is to be provided only in the event of error in the account number on the agreement document of the recipient.
- Copies of transcipts of examination result and other qualification certificates. Example: STPM/ Diploma/ Matriculation/ Degree/ Master.
- Copy of salary slip / income tax form (individual) / retiree card / pension statement / income confirmation letter / letter of confirmation of unemployment - first guardian (1).
- Copy of salary slip / income tax form (individual) / retiree card / pension statement / income confirmation letter / letter of confirmation of unemployment - second in guardian (2).
- Copy of salary slip / copy of income tax return (individual) / income confirmation letter - recipient (if the recipient is still working).
- Copy of salary slip / income tax form (individual) / income confirmation letter / letter of confirmation of unemployment – recipient's spouse (if the recipient is married).
- Confirmation letter / certificate from the Department of Social Welfare / Zakat Centre if recipient receives monthly assistance from the relevant agencies - recipient / parents / guardians.
- Letter of confirmation from employer on work experience (for the recipient who uses work experience as one of the conditions of entry). For students who submit applications in the 2nd semester onwards, the following additional documents are required:
- Letter from higher education institute confirming status as student.
- Copy of the previous semester examination results (all supporting documents must be photocopied on A4 paper and certified by qualified officers. Information on the officers qualified to certify the documents can be obtained from the PTPTN website).
I have passed the SPM, but without 3 honours and have been accepted by a public higher education institute. Can I apply for an education loan?
You are not eligible to apply for an education loan. However, the relaxed condition of having passed the SPM will be applicable if you are in any of the following categories of students:
1. Only holders of a community college certificate is offered to pursue a diploma in a polytechnic provided they obtained a CGPA of 3.0 and above at the certificate level; or
2. Only holders of a polytechnic diploma who receive an offer to pursue first degree studies at a public or private higher education institute provided they obtained a CGPA of 3.0 and above at the diploma level.
I do not have SPM but a UEC certificate. Can I apply for an education loan?
You are not eligible to apply for an education loan. However, a compulsory pass in SPM is exempted for students with UEC qualification without SPM who are pursuing diploma and first degree studies in private institutes only.
I have more than one SPM results, am I allowed to combine these results to apply for PTPTN loan?
Yes. You can combine the SPM pass results only. In addition, only the subjects with the highest grades are taken into account.
I do not have 3 credits in SPM but have been accepted into a higher education institute based on my work experience. Can I apply for an education loan?
No. The condition for applying for PTPTN education financing is the applicant must have passed the SPM with at least 3 credits in any of the subjects.
I was offered a ‘bridging / foundation' course at a polytechnic. Am I eligible to apply for a PTPTN loan?
You are not eligible to apply based on current regulations. PTPTN does not offer education loans to students pursuing polytechnic ‘bridging / foundation' studies.
I completed my first degree through PTPTN education financing. If I wish to study for a diploma in another area, can I apply for PTPTN education loan?
No. Second education financing will only be considered for students who have graduated and are pursuing higher level studies.
I have ceased studying / failed in my study at a higher education institute and now want to resume studying at the same level. Can I still apply for PTPTN education financing?
Yes, provided you have settled the full amount of the education financing received previously (the amount of education financing is subject to confirmation from the PTPTN Loan Ledger Unit, Accounts Department).
I would like to pursue a master or Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) or professional course in a private institute. Can I apply for a PTPTN loan?
No. PTPTN extends the scope of education sponsorship to students who are studying master or Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) or professional courses in public higher education institutes only.
I was offered part-time study / distance learning / ePJJ in a local institution. Am I eligible for a PTPTN loan?
Yes, you are eligible if you are studying part-time at a public higher education institute and polytechnic. Students of private institutes are eligible only if they are studying at:
- Open University Malaysia (OUM)
- Wawasan Open University
- Asia E University
- UNITAR International University (UNITAR)
I was offered foundation studies at a private institute. Am I eligible to apply for a PTPTN loan?
Yes, if you are studying at:
- Multimedia University (MMU)
- Universiti Tun Abdul Razak (UNIRAZAK).
- UNITAR International University (UNITAR)
Does PTPTN offer education loans to polytechnic students at integration level?
Yes. PTPTN offers education financing at integration level in a polytechnic for only a period of one year.
Can I apply for PTPTN education financing for the 2 + 1 programme (twinning programme) conducted in collaboration with overseas institutions? This programme is conducted locally for two years and one year abroad.
Yes. However, PTPTN provides education financing only for the period of study undertaken in the country.
I am studying in the second semester and wish to apply for PTPTN education financing. Can I obtain financing from the first semester?
No. The period of approved education financing is based on the current semester during which the application is made. If you are applying in the second semester, the approved education financing is effective from the second semester until the expiry of your typical study period.